It’s been almost 3 years since we started “our” blog, and so far it’s Cam: 278 Tim: 0. Since I check about 12 blogs on a daily basis, I thought it was time for me to jump in and contribute something back to the blogging world. Hopefully, my blogging will be as successful and regular over the next years as my avoidance has been during years past.
So, I’ve been doing a lot of random little Do-It-Yourself type projects around the house and thought I’d share one of the more amusing things I discovered just today as I was investigating an issue with our dryer.
For the last couple of weeks, Cam has noticed that every time she does laundry the basement windows fog up pretty badly. Being that in our apartment when laundry was drying, the apartment would feel slightly humid and we’d get the occasional fogged window, we thought that, being shut up tightly, the basement didn’t have enough ventilation and we should open a window, or install a vent fan of some sort: just another minor item on my currently-very-large to-do list.
Tonight, after the second load of laundry, and after I had finished starting another project (what started out as pulling away a peeling paint chip quickly became scraping the paint from essentially the entire bathroom ceiling, but I digress…), we noticed that there was literally standing water gathering between the tiles in the laundry room floor. Thinking that perhaps we not only had extreme humidity, but also possibly a leak of some sort, I set out to investigate, and it quickly became clear what the problem was.
As it turns out, whoever installed the dryer didn’t seem to understand that installation took just a tiny bit more than plugging the thing in:
Notice the vent to the outside coming out of the wall, and the corresponding vent out of the dryer…
Fortunately, it should be super easy to fix and I don’t have to install another vent fan in the basement. It’s pretty nice when the fix is so obvious!